Sunday, January 03, 2010

Sverige vs. Danmark

Its a centuries old rivalry that I am now living in and trying to decide the victor.  Which is the better country; Sweden or Denmark?  I live in Denmark, my family lives in Sweden.  I live in a large city, my parents live in a small, oh so small, town.  Denmark has more stores, but Sweden's stores are much bigger.  Denmark's national colors are red and white (not such good colors for me) and Sweden's are blue and yellow (yay blue!).  Its a tough one for me to decide.  Perhaps pictures will serve as undeniable data to help determine a victor. 


This would be known as snow; both beautiful and cold.  Sweden or more accurately, Älmhult was covered in the beautiful white stuff, while Copenhagen was cold and snow free.

Point to Sweden.


Pizza and Kebabs in Sweden are simply better.  I am not biased in any way on this issue, it has nothing to do with the fact that I have to have a kebab in Denmark, I know that the kebabs could not compare. 

Point to Sweden. Sverige: 2  Danmark: 0






Sweden has a game called "Assassins" that involves you buying and selling on the black market and then hiring assassins to kill off all of the other players.  This game is a Christmas tradition in our house.  Its actually illegal to sell this game anymore, which makes it all the cooler. 

Overwhelming point to Sweden. 
Sweden: 3  Denmark: 0


Unfortunately for Sweden, Danes are crazy.  No day in the entire year displays their craziness better than New Year's Eve.  There are fireworks, but that is commonplace in Europe, what makes the Danes stand out is that their fireworks might just kill you.  Everyone is shooting them, not those little bottle rocket types like in the US, but the massive, Disneyland-would-be-proud-of-you kind.  So not only are fireworks going off in a 360 view, but some are coming towards you. 

Resounding point of fun to Denmark.



On the food part of this debate, Denmark has an ice cream cake that may be one of the best culinary inventions known to man.  Every type of ice cream is represented as is marzipan and an unidentified crust.  Kebabs may be good, but this may be better. 
Point to Denmark.

Sweden: 3  Denmark: 2.



Finally, dancing.  Swedes are reserved creatures, while Danes come out of their shells for some good fun.  New Year's involves not only fireworks, but dancing.  Of course you don't need to have any real moves, in fact the less you have the better.  Its about fun, not talent.

Point to Denmark for loving the untalented.

Sverige: 3  Danmark: 3

So the debate still rages. For me there doesn't need to be a winner; I'm just happy to get to live a bit in both of them.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ellen for help with the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I agree with you on nearly all points.
    Yes, Pizza and Kebabs in Sweden are delicious.
    Yes, the ice cream in Denmark is delicious.

    However, Swedes really can be quite crazy (in Skåne, anyway) when it comes to fireworks on NYE too, though. In our smallish town (25,000) people go bonkers buying stuff and then setting it off, not just on NYE but on the nights leading up to it.

    I did not know that Danes were dancers! Swedes most certainly are NOT!

    You're right! It must be hard to decide!

    But I would say that the Swedish language must be approximately 3,925 times easier to learn than Danish, but I'm biased.

    I am thinking about working in Denmark, so I will be following your thoughts on the issue closely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can fight it out on the fireworks. I've had them in both places and I think CPH is the best, but I could decide to call that one a truce. I LOLed on the 3,925 times easier thing. I AGREE! Its not learning what the words mean, its pronouncing them that will kill you.

    ReplyDelete