Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dinosaurs and such


I popped over to London for the weekend with Ellen, one of my housemates, and I got the opportunity to fulfill a lifelong wish: dinosaur bones.  (The picture is not of any actual exhibit in the museum, but of Jake, my friend Serenity's youngest boy who loves dinosaurs almost as much as I do.  I thought of him the entire time I was staring at those bones.) Apparently, most Brits have seen the dinoaurs, not dinosaur-Jake but the actual dead ones, countless times and they are just boring bits of rock/bone to them, but to two country girls transplanted into huge European cities, they are phenomenal.  So we went and they were indeed ... BIG.  Thats really all there is to say about them. 

We then went to the Victoria and Albert museum and became highly cultured and learned all number of things, but our favorite part of the overwhelming culture were molds that were taken of other famous European landmarks.  (i.e Trajan's tower, David, and various other things that are too cultured for me to remember their names.) Our reasoning for loving these specific items was that they were so... BIG.  Apparently we like big things. 

We also like being able to speak the language.  The whole weekend we just kept looking at each other and saying things like, "Washing machines in English are so much easier to use."  "Its weird how when there is a problem with the train and they let you know in English, how much better it is than just sitting there and hoping there is nothing that you really needed to know in all of that Danish that was just spoken."

London, what an amazing place, it not only feels free to have childhood wish fulfillment, but they speak English.  Phenomenal.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I love that, "We became highly cultured"! And I love the picture. I have to get my boys to a natural history museum as soon as possible. AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. And, ah, a tour of London. Jealous, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:23 PM

    I think I am guilty of some of the same things! I love Joshua's picture; great freedom, hope we have it for a long time!
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete