Thursday, January 14, 2010

Six months in and what I miss most.

Two years ago when I was moving to England, (Oh you missed that? No worries it didn't happen.) I came across a list that told me what I would miss the most from the US.  I actually blogged about it back then and now that I am 4 days shy of having lived in Denmark for 6 months it seemed time to evaluate.

1) That old list told me that I would miss food and I do.  There aren't words to describe how much I miss some of the food.  These are at the top of my list: Campbells soup (you use them to make so many other things), pop tarts, sausage, American bread, chocolate chips, anything mexican, and anything Chinese.  Though to be honest, I have adapted and I now prefer eating mostly vegetables.

2) I miss speaking English and hearing English.  I'm learning to love Danish but, how could I explain missing a language that makes sense to me?


3) But more than anything, I miss people. 
Here's some examples of the people I love on another continent.  Serenity, Kristin, and Rebecca.  I've gotten the privilege to live with all of them at some time and their quirky senses of humor and ability to dress in black make me love them.


I miss kids.  This is Payton, my friend Jamie's oldest, and Serenity's boys, Jon, Jake, and Drew. These kids let me play with them for hours, challenge me in epic video game battles, allow me to play dress-up, and alternately believe I am a princess or a ninja warrior.  I adore them.







Teenagers.  They are fantastic.  Courtney and Meghann are some of all-time favorite teenagers and Nikki who just teenagerdom behind her, was in that category not so long ago.  They are the ones that can convince me to try crazy things, believe sleep-overs are fun, and make me laugh more than anyone else I know.




So that old list was partially right, I do miss things that are quintessentially American but, you adapt and you move on.  What you don't move on from are people.  I feel blessed to live in a world where living on another continent is not like living on Mars, untouchable and out of reach, but its more like living a long drive away.  Someday soon I'll make that drive, but until then I can just let everyone in the US know how much I love them.

2 comments:

  1. I love you too! This was so sweet. I miss you a lot, and I think about you all the time. Thank you for making my day and including me in this list! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, my kids and I both made the list. We do live in a lucky time period; I was just telling Michael that, and I was referencing Skype basically. It doesn't feel that you live too far away, because the internet and such makes everything seem closer. But it still feels that you live too expensive away. :)

    ReplyDelete