Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Thanksgiving gives culture shock a punch in the face


Culture shock.  Its a nasty, dirty word; almost to the point of being a 4 letter word. It comes in waves throughout your time away from your home culture and it can mess with your mind in ways that evil comic book villians would love to.  Thanksgiving was the most recent trigger of the evil word.  These were the four major hurdles that brought it on.

1) Turkey you say?  Impossible to find here and when you do - its expensive.  A typical 20lb bird costs over 550 DKK or over a $100.

2) Sides.  We spent days trying to figure out what vegetables we could and couldn't get.  The Pakistani store next door saved us on the last day with putting out 3 sweet potatoes.

3) Holiday?  Well not so much.  I worked Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday but I knew the US was off.  It plays weird tricks on your mind and makes you a grumpy worker.

4) I wanted to blame Denmark for not celebrating an American holiday, but how unfair is that?

In the end, my family and friends helped cook an absolutely huge meal that my international friends joined us in.  Despite all of the up and down emotions of the holiday and the extreme amount of work it took to make Thanksgiving basics, it ended up as the best Thanksgiving I have ever had.  It met all the requirements of food, family, and friends and added an international flavor it had never had before.  After all my fuss it was the Thanksgiving of my dreams.  Which means that the next time culture shock wants to come and mess with my emotions, I'll remind it that this Danish life and all the stuff that comes with it, is part of what I've always wanted. 

Take that culture shock.  This time you did not win and if we are keeping score, I don't think you'll win next time either.  Just a heads up.

Did I mention that we made a lot of food?


We tested unusual coffee creations


Made sure that there was a competition over the wishbone


Added Czechs and Ethiopians to the festivities


And made sure that Aaron could have one plate that was just stuffing.

No comments:

Post a Comment