Friday, December 04, 2009

Out of the box

Copenhagen. I love that I live here. Its a huge city, where I take all forms of public transportation every day. I love public transport. I know thats a little weird. Especially because it takes longer than a bike, which is the preferred way of travel in this city. But when I get on the Metro and its so packed that people are touching and I have to stand in just the right way to not fall over when it lurches, I know I am happy. Or when I pull into Nørreport station, the busiest station in Denmark, and any way you turn there are people moving in a river like current that you cannot fight against, I love that too. I love the amount of people. I love the languages. I love not being able to understand what people are saying so I can feel free to tune them out.

There are annoyances all the time and I need to learn Danish, obviously, but I think I LOVE feeling free. Thats why I love the people press. It makes me feel free from all the strings people wanted to put on me, or the little boxes they wanted to fit me into. At one time in life I thought that box was everything. Now though, I see how many people are not living in that box and I realize that my world was too small. So I love the painfully wonderful progress of meeting the world with open arms and letting it expand.


1 comment:

  1. I know I told you before, but I just adore this picture of the people pressing against you and yet it makes you feel free.

    ReplyDelete