Friday, May 21, 2010

Fødelsdag

Fødelsdag = Birthday. I love birthdays. I think I love them because the day is all about you and, at least in my family, there are no set traditions; anything can happen. Which means that every year you get to be more creative about how you want to celebrate, well, you. Though there are traditions that I never realized, i.e. the song.  "Happy Birthday to You ..." is not what they sing in every country. Also, in Europe its not normal to go out to eat for some part of your birthday.  Happily though, getting presents and a day all about you seems universal. 
Danish birthdays involve lots of waving of Danish flags (absolutely not a joke) and there are several birthday songs that can be sung.  In my house we wake the person up and invade their bedroom singing loudly and waving Danish flags for all we're worth.  It all took some getting used to, but my birthday was lovely in every way.  I'm even beginning to learn the main birthday song, though I basically just sing the "Hoo-ah, hoo-ah" part.  Here is a video of Danes surprising a bus driver on his birthday and you'll smile with how sweet it is and understand my learning the hoo-ah's.  You may also make the jump that I have, that a hoo-ah song and waving Danish flags is a great way to celebrate a fødelsdag.

6 comments:

  1. okay... that was really, really, really sweet. and that song is lovely. I'm actually crying. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:09 AM

    That song rocks!!! It's so much more lyrical than Happy Birthday. Any chance of finding out what the words mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this video! And, really, I hate the Happy Birthday (To You) song. People always have trouble finding the right key, and it's not even a pleasant melody. It would be so cool if we could get that tradition changed to something funner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok this is my own translation. so a true Dane would probably give you a different one.

    Today it is[insert name]'s birthday!
    Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
    he/she will get the gift
    that he/she has wished for all year
    and delicious chocolate cake.

    How he/she smiles when he's/she's happy
    Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
    But this day is extra nice,
    because at home are mom and dad
    with delicious chocolate cake.

    And when he/she comes home from school today
    Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
    Then there will be a party,
    and who will come as a guest,
    and get delicious chocolate cake?

    Finally we shout loudly together
    Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
    Long live [insert name]
    and may his/her wishes come true
    and may they get delicious chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And its really fødselsdag. I always spell it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:14 AM

    They don't sing happy birthday in every country??! That information has just destabilised my world.

    ReplyDelete